POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ppm troubles : Re: ppm troubles Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:22:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ppm troubles
From: Ive
Date: 26 Dec 2002 16:15:00
Message: <3e0b7154@news.povray.org>
>It seems POV-Ray has problems reading ppm-files it has generated itself.

This seems to be true, at least for the windows version. The funny thing is:
POV writes the files correct but is unable to read them.
I have checked the header, it is in simple ascii format, where P6 stands for
rgb data in binary format, next line is image width and height followed by the
color range (e.g. 255 for 8bit). Note that most image viewer (like IrvanView)
do not read other formats tham 255 (8bit) correct but all bit format as written
by pov are valid ppm files.
Just found one more problem. Any line that starts with '#' in the header is a
comment and should be ignored by the reading software. POV becomes
confused when there is any comment line in the header.
Do all this things also happen with the linux version where ppm is a more native
image format?
Guess I will look up the source and will integrate a bug fix for reading ppm files
into my own POV-Patch.

-Ive