POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : higher "color" resolution grayscale images : higher "color" resolution grayscale images Server Time
5 Aug 2024 02:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  higher "color" resolution grayscale images
From: Bill Brehm
Date: 16 Dec 2002 21:26:51
Message: <3dfe8b6b@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I need to generate some grayscale images at 10 bits (1024 levels) or more
per pixel. I've read the documentation and I can generate 48 bit color PNG
files. The problem is, I haven't been able to find any program to convert
them to 16 bit grayscale images. I had no problem finding a program to
convert from 24 bit color to 8 bit grayscale. But even though some of them
can read in the 48 bit PNG files, they generate 8 bit grayscale when
converting.

I also need the output file to be converted to TIFF and to have totally
lossless compression, if any. I don't actual need compression. But if it's
there, and I get the distortion that is seen in JPG images, I won't be able
to use them.

I've tried selecting a grayscale palette, but that only affects the display
and no the output file.

So,

1. is there a way to make POVRay render the image directly to 16 bit
grayscale?
2. can anyone recommend a program (preferably freeware or shareware, so I
can try it first) that can read in 48 bit color or 16 bit grayscale PNG
files and convert them to a 16 bit grayscale TIFF file?

Thanks,

Bill