POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : pvmpovray35 release : Re: pvmpovray35 release Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:46:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pvmpovray35 release
From: Warp
Date: 11 Dec 2002 05:14:04
Message: <3df70fec@news.povray.org>
Since I don't have anything to do with the maintenance of these Sparc
computers at work, I have no idea whether PVM is installed here or not.
Is there some way of looking whether this is so or not?
  When trying to compile the pvm-patched version, the compiler chokes on:

#include "pvm3.h"

and says that file doesn't exist. Does this mean PVM is not installed here?
(But shouldn't it be '#include <pvm3.h>' if it's supposed to be a system-wide
library and not a file in the current directory?)

  By the way, I wouldn't like to start a sermon about programming guidelines,
but I noticed that you have lots of stuff in pvm.h which are used only
in pvm.cpp and are clearly just "configuring" it.
  In C and C++ a header file is supposed to be a definition of the
*public interface* of that module. It's not a configuration file for the
module or anything like that.
  A public interface should be minimal and contain only those things which
are purposed to be used by other modules. Everything that is only an
internal implementation detail of pcm.cpp and not even supposed to be used
anywhere else, should go inside pvm.cpp, nowhere else. (If they are things
that can be configured, you can put them at the very beginning of pvm.cpp
for easy access.)

  For some reason many programmers have the odd idea that a header file is
a file where you declare all types and constants, regardless of where they
are used. This is certainly not the purpose of a header file.

  Sorry, couldn't help myself... :)