POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : RiscOS3? : Re: RiscOS3? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RiscOS3?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 8 Dec 2002 19:57:45
Message: <3df3ea89@news.povray.org>
In article <3df3e6ca$1@news.povray.org> , "Apache"
<apa### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> No clue. I remember my grandpa running a pc emulator with win95 on an Acorn
> many years ago. I was very impressed that such a small box could actually do
> that. For CISC machines not that hard to emulate a RISC machine. The other
> way around is another story!

No, actually the other way around it the easy part.  Emulating a CISC on a
RISC system is easy.  Emulating a RISC system on a CISC system is difficult.
Of course I am talking in terms of a _fast_ emulation.  Some slow emulation
is easy in either case as one can just write it in C and run everywhere.  A
fast emulation requires to generate native code.  And it is easy to generate
good native code for a CISC system on a RISC system.  The other way around
you already run into problems as you most likely don't have enough registers
on the CISC system to store all the emulated RISC registers in...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde