POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere sweeps and render time : sphere sweeps and render time Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  sphere sweeps and render time
From: Ross Litscher
Date: 7 Dec 2002 13:01:48
Message: <3df2378c$1@news.povray.org>
Hello all. I'm working on a little model of a lamp which uses sphere_sweeps.
Getting very low PPS in the first part of the image where the sphere sweep
isn't visible, i began to wonder why this is so. If I take the sphere sweep
out, render time increases a lot. the sphere sweep and texture is as follows
if it helps/matters, if not, ignore the code. I am using radiosity, but the
slow down occurs with or without radiosity. Please note if you try rendering
this, i use z as the "up" vector.

With the sphere_sweep i get about 30 PPS and without it I get 340 PPS, and
this is where there is nothing but a blue wall with just a simple pigment
{ rgb <0.05, 0.30, 0.80> }. So my question is, if its not apparent yet, why
does a sphere sweep affect the render time so much even when it is not
currently rendering any part of the sphere_sweep? Is there any way to reduce
this affect (i'm no master pov'er, i don't know such things)

thankyou,
ross

/****************************************************/

/* texture */
#declare shiney_black_iron =
texture {
  pigment {
    granite
    color_map {
      [0.0 rgb <0, 0, 0>]
      [0.4 rgb <.1, .1, .1>]
      [0.5 rgb <.3, .3, .3>]
      [0.6 rgb <.2, .2, .2>]
      [1.0 rgb <.05, .05, .05>]
    }
  }
  finish {
    phong 0.38
    phong_size 34
    specular 0.35
    reflection 0.15
  }
  normal {
    granite
  }
  scale .4
}

#declare lamp_post =
sphere_sweep {
  cubic_spline
  51
  <0.00 , 0.00 , 5.00>, .1
  <0.00 , 0.00 , 5.00>, .1
  <0.00 , 0.00 , 3.25>, .1

  /* crimp 1 */
  <1.00 , 0.00 , 3.00>, .1
  <0.30 , 0.30 , 2.95>, .1
  <0.00 , 1.00 , 2.90>, .1
  <-0.30, 0.30 , 2.85>, .1
  <-1.00, 0.00 , 2.80>, .1
  <-0.30, -0.30, 2.75>, .1
  <0.00 , -1.00, 2.70>, .1
  <0.30 , -0.30, 2.65>, .1
  <1.00 , 0.00 , 2.60>, .1

  /* small straightaway */
  <0.00 , 0.00 , 2.55>, .1

  /* crimp 2 */
  <0.00 , 0.00 , 1.60>, .1
  <1.00 , 0.00 , 1.60>, .1
  <0.30 , 0.30 , 1.55>, .1
  <0.00 , 1.00 , 1.50>, .1
  <-0.30, 0.30 , 1.45>, .1
  <-1.00, 0.00 , 1.40>, .1
  <-0.30, -0.30, 1.35>, .1
  <0.00 , -1.00, 1.30>, .1
  <0.30 , -0.30, 1.35>, .1
  <1.00 , 0.00 , 1.30>, .1

  /* long straightaway */
  <0.00 , 0.00 , 1.00>, .1
  <0.00 , 0.00 , -2.0>, .1
  <0.00 , 0.00 , -2.95>, .1

  /* base */
  <.75, 0, -2.95>, .1
  <1.5, 0, -3.0>, .1
  <0, 1.5, -3.0>, .1
  <-1.5, 0, -3.0>, .1
  <0, -1.5, -3.0>, .1

  <1.45, 0, -2.9>, .1
  <0, 1.45, -2.9>, .1
  <-1.45, 0, -2.9>, .1
  <0, -1.45, -2.9>, .1

  <1.4, 0, -2.8>, .1
  <0, 1.4, -2.8>, .1
  <-1.4, 0, -2.8>, .1
  <0, -1.4, -2.8>, .1

  <1.35, 0, -2.7>, .1
  <0, 1.35, -2.7>, .1
  <-1.35, 0, -2.7>, .1
  <0, -1.35, -2.7>, .1

  <1.3, 0, -2.6>, .1
  <0, 1.3, -2.6>, .1
  <-1.3, 0, -2.6>, .1
  <0, -1.3, -2.6>, .1

  <1.25, 0, -2.5>, .1
  <0, 1.25, -2.5>, .1
  <-1.25, 0, -2.5>, .1
  <0, -1.25, -2.5>, .1

  translate <0, 0, 3>          /* top of this object is at 10, bottom is at
0 */
}