POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making this Christmas ornament look more real : Re: Making this Christmas ornament look more real Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making this Christmas ornament look more real
From: hughes, b
Date: 6 Dec 2002 13:23:35
Message: <3df0eb27$1@news.povray.org>
"Graphic Designer" <doc### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

> Unfortunately, I dont have time to learn the changes in 3.5, so I'm
> sticking with 3.1 for now. I've only got a few days left on this
> project, and then I can install 3.5.
>
> The latest image is here: http://www.docbrown.net/ornament3.jpg

That looks decent. You also have a 'reflection_exponent' available in 3.1
which can cause more contrast between light and dark reflections if less
than 1.0; usually only good for things which are unlike perfect mirrors.
Although ornament balls like this are close to being mirror-like.

If anything, I think you ought to try a less dense pine needle twig. It
looks like a wire brush to me, I should have mentioned that before. And it
is black as seen here. So thicker individual needles but fewer of them, and
greener, might be a good idea. And then there really needs to be a tree in
that reflection. And lights and other decorations...  ;-)  Much more than
you wanted to be doing, I suppose.

Oh, and one last thing. The perspective camera is causing the ball to be
very out-of-round. It can help a lot to move the camera back and set 'angle'
to about 30 or 40 to prevent that from happening.