POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : relativity : Re: relativity Server Time
2 May 2024 12:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: relativity
From: Rick Gutleber
Date: 2 Dec 2002 15:36:38
Message: <3debc456@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> "Rohan Bernett" <rox### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> > Would it be possible to create a patch for Povray that would allow it to
> > turn it into a relativistic raytracer?
>
> Practically impossible. You would be much better off writing a
relativistic
> raytracer from scratch. POV is big and complex, you would have to change
> pretty much everything, and not everything it does would even make sense
in
> a relativistic raytracer. It isn't something you could just patch into
POV.
> It would be much more productive to work on Backlight instead: it already
> does the basics.

Perhaps it's not possible for the reasons you state, but it seems to me that
those effects could be approximated by camera manipulations and a little
post-processing.  Of course, that assumes a static scene where only the
camera is moving relative to the scene.  Obviously, if multiple objects are
moving with different velocity vectors that wouldn't work.

It depends on whether you are trying to approximate relativistic effects or
actually model them.

Rick