POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : New release Pyvon : Re: What is the fuss about emacs ? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the fuss about emacs ?
From: Warp
Date: 2 Dec 2002 06:06:31
Message: <3deb3eb7@news.povray.org>
> A true application of the 21st century has to be usable without a degree in
> computer science.  Otherwise it is only a geek toy, but not an application.

  Well, I don't think that unchecking an option in a graphical windowing
system needs a degree in computer science.
  Granted, it can be pretty difficult to find that this is what is causing
the problem, but I don't see any reason why a degree in computer science
would make it any easier in this case to find it.

  In fact, I think that in this particular case the problem is not that
emacs is not user-friendly, but the contrary: It's trying to be *too*
user-friendly, by letting itself to be affected by the KDE settings.
Perhaps they didn't test this feature well enough to realize that it
messes up the color settings in a way which is not desirable.

  (Actually I have seen some poorly-done freeware windows programs where
the problem is the opposite: They don't use the system's default colors
but define their own instead, *assuming* that the default colors are the
default ones, ie they gray shades etc. This results in the GUI of the
program being a mess of colors, somewhere being according to the system
settings and somewhere being the programs own colors, and it looks horrible.)