POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possible bug with (only?) simple objects and large values : Re: Possible bug with (only?) simple objects and large values Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible bug with (only?) simple objects and large values
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 30 Nov 2002 04:27:15
Message: <3de88473@news.povray.org>
In article <3de879f4@news.povray.org> , Micha Riser <mri### [at] gmxnet>  wrote:

> Floating point error analysis is a bit more complicated than you seem to
> think. For intersections calculations a ray-tracer needs to do a sequence
> of calculations and the error which is produced by the limitation of
> floating point precision is propagted. As there are different calculations
> done for each primitives it is natural that the floating point error
> effects are also different for each primitive. In short: What you are
> seeing is definitely an effect of FP precision.

No, this is wrong.

There is a very simple answer and I am sure there is some FAQ about it
somewhere as this question comes up every now and then.  The maximum
distance for which an intersection is calculated in POV-Ray is limited.  If
you want to create the solar system, you cannot use 1 unit = 1 m.  use
something like 1 unit = 1000 km and you should be fine.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.