POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : New release Pyvon : Re: What is the fuss about emacs ? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:57:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the fuss about emacs ?
From: fabien Henon
Date: 27 Nov 2002 20:31:34
Message: <3de571f6@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:

> fabien Henon wrote:
>
>>[...]
>>
>>Yes there can be way to go around this, but when I use POV I don't want
>>to spend half a day learning how emacs work.
>

> Well, of course no one is forcing you to use emacs but your arguments are
> mostly not correct:
>
> - controlling the render options from the editor is not really an argument
> for most people, using the command line is often more convenient and there
> are also tools like:
>
> http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/linstuff.html#POVMENU
>
> - Auto completition works (and is context sensitive, much more
> sophisticated than in WinPOV!) Just use something like:
>
> (define-key pov-mode-map "\M-\r" 'pov-complete-word)

Ok, I'll try these settings, but why isn't it written in the
installation instructions ?
> (by default it's "\M-\t" IIRC which might not work because used by the
> system)
>
> - syntax highlighting works too (just needs to be activated probably)

Yet I followed the instructions.
When I load a file it does not work. When I type keywords, it works
> - the render stats (as well as the image) can be accessed too of course
> when the internal render function is used, a new buffer is created
> containing the text output.
>
> And more important than all this is of course that emacs has a lot of
> standard editing functions some other editors (and pyvon) lack like:
>
> - customizable auto indention
This feature will be added in a future version of Pyvon

> - sophisticated search function
What more than (find), (find next), (replace) and (replace all) do you
want in a search window ?

> - standard navigation functions (move forward/backward word, line,
> paragraph, ...)
Do you mean goto line ....
When POV-RAY outputs an error, Pyvon reads the error file, goes to the
faulty line of the script and highlights it

> - standard deletion functions (delete word, line, ...)
??? Could you tell me with which combination of keys I can have that.

> - find matching braces.
This feature is already implemented by default in Pyvon

> Christoph

Fabien H