POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : focal blur problem ? : Re: focal blur problem ? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: focal blur problem ?
From: hughes, b
Date: 20 Nov 2002 05:12:32
Message: <3ddb6010@news.povray.org>
"Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote in message
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...
> in simple scene (prisms scene - I will post it in .b.i soon) I have
problem
> with focal blur. It looks like POV ignores confidene/variance stettings
and
> always just uses blur_sampels samples per pixel...
>
>   blur_samples 100
>   aperture 0.03
>   variance 1/256
>   confidence 0.999
>
>   blur_samples 100
>   aperture 0.03
>   variance 1/2
>   confidence 0.3
>
> should't second version render *much* faster ?

Not sure that is a significant enough aperture to notice it. Those things,
variance and confidence, might have to be more extreme too. Trying to think
of what the default for variance is... 1/128? Yes, is. I've used variance
1/500 and confidence 0.9999 before, I know, and I think it does make a
difference. But not much from between around those numbers you have there
probably. A kind of exponential change maybe?