POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "best" way to create an shape covered with a picture? : Re: "best" way to create an shape covered with a picture? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:15:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "best" way to create an shape covered with a picture?
From: Tom Melly
Date: 19 Nov 2002 05:36:52
Message: <3dda1444$1@news.povray.org>
"Jeff Kish" <ELN/kishj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:EJnZPbtpCghb5wuNusBXFxgV+kHg@4ax.com...

> Answers are good.. pointers to answers are appreciated. Heck, I'll
> even take a flame if it answers my question!

Hi Jeff, is the head a mesh or a blob/other?

Anyway, I would suggest you check the docs on spherical mapping - something
like:

#declare MyHead = sphere {0, 1}

object{
  MyHead
  pigment{
    image_map{ // see section 6.7.1.5.1
      sys
      "testsor.bmp"
      once // see section 6.7.12.7.1
      map_type 1
    }
  }
}

The main point/drawback is that map_type 1 maps the image using spherical
mapping - i.e. the above is ideal, mapping the image to a sphere. Because a head
isn't exactly spherical, you will get some distortion. If your head uses a mesh,
you would have the option of using UV mapping, but to be honest I've no idea how
you would go about this without deforming the image too much.