POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Render frames backwards : Re: Render frames backwards Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:16:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render frames backwards
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 14 Nov 2002 13:01:43
Message: <3dd3e507@news.povray.org>
In article <3dd3d95c@news.povray.org> , "Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk>
wrote:

> Now you've got me confused. Warp proposed (or rather, he elaborated on) a
> theoretical method to evenly distribute a render. You made a wrong assumption
> (that the idea was for the two renders to meet at the middle frame/pixel), and
> then continued to assert that the approach was "wrong", even when every effort
> had been made to clear up the assumption.

No, I asked which of the two methods he suggested as no communication of the
two instances could exist.  The only way it could work without communication
is that disjoint sets of frames are rendered by each instance.  So I asked
which of the two simple methods possible creating disjoint sets of frames he
is talking about.  This is really perfectly clear, at least to me (see
below), and I fail to see why you then you assume I would probably be too
inexperienced or for some other reason not know that different frames can
take a different amount of time to render (remind me, how much time do I
spend optimizing POV-Ray per day?) and go on explaining it to me.  I just
don't get it.

> I've re-read the entire thread, and, yes, I got somewhat confused about
> whether you were proposing or criticizing at one moment, but the point is that
> no one ever proposed what you criticized - you just misunderstood what was
> being proposed.

OK, so the term "So you suggest" does not make clear that it is not me
suggesting something.  Would you be so kind to reword what I said such that
these misunderstandings can be avoided in the future?  I simply do not know
a better way to express that I am talking about an assumption I make about
what someone else is saying:

"So you suggest one renders the even and another the odd indexed frames?  Or
do you suggest that the beginning and the end of a sequence take long and
you divide them such that one renders from beginning to the middle of the
sequence and the other from the end to the middle of the sequence?  Why
would it have to work backwards in either case?  The speed would be the same
regardless of sequence direction!"

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde