POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: is this a bug? : Re: is this a bug? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: is this a bug?
From: Mike Williams
Date: 11 Nov 2002 01:38:05
Message: <3dcf504d@news.povray.org>
Wasn't it Ben Lawshe who wrote:
>I can't get my falling water to display with the rest of the scene... if
you
>comment out the first while loop for putting down that object, the falling
>water will render fine, as soon as you put that loop back in, it won't show
>up. Anyone have any idea why it's doing this?

When you render the scene with the loop in place you may notice this
warning message:

  Warning: Camera is inside a non-hollow object. Fog and participating
  media may not work as expected.

Since your falling water is media, this looks like a useful hint.

The offending objects that your camera is "inside" are the two quadrics
that have active "clipped_by"s in the "toppart" object. My guess is that
the clipping isn't affecting the "inside" which therefore extends into
all sorts of inconvenient places.

It's probably not the fact that the camera is inside the non-hollow
object that causes the actual problem, but the fact that your water
media is also inside some invisible parts of "toppart".

You can't just "hollow" those two quadrics, you actually have to hollow
the entire toppart intersection, so the last few lines of the toppart
declaration should look like this.

                rotate -5*z
                translate <-4.2,-40,8.75>
                hollow
}

>Any help appreciated, I'm just starting to use povray and playing around
>with it,

That looks like rather complicated stuff for a beginner to be playing
around with.

(For some reason I can't seem to post to povray.general from my own Internet
account at the moment, so this is coming via a rather devious route.)

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure