POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux question [off-topic] : Re: Linux question [off-topic] Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:57:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux question [off-topic]
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 10 Nov 2002 14:01:19
Message: <3dceacff@news.povray.org>
In article <toqpsuglri163eispo4rs0q3ecoap5d08u@4ax.com> , Peter Popov
<pet### [at] vipbg>  wrote:

> Everything seems find until I mount a Windows share which is behind
> the firewall. It works, but when trying to copy large files (>512 MB)
> the load gets too big for the firewall and it starts dropping packets,
> so Windows drops the file copying.

Well, this should not happen with a TCP connection at all.  If a TCP
connection drops during load or with packet loss it might be a low-level
configuration issue on either side.  In general TCP allows sending a few
packets while the reception confirmation for some is still outstanding.  If
that is disabled or not working properly or you simply are able to send more
packets than the remote site can even buffer you can end up in a little
mess.

I would suggest to configure the data sending side (both sides send data,
but I am referring to that sending the huge amount) to always wait before
sending new packets.  I don't know at all how to configure that in Linux,
but every TCP layer should offer such a setting.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde