POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : gamma correction on flatscreen monitors : Re: gamma correction on flatscreen monitors Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gamma correction on flatscreen monitors
From: Slime
Date: 5 Nov 2002 23:37:43
Message: <3dc89c97$1@news.povray.org>
> > Really? My laptop LCD screen has a gamma very close to 1.
>
> Well, yes, based on the chart of gray shaded bars (made up of thin lines)
> anyway. Perhaps about the worst way to check but I could look from far
> enough away to get the shades looking the way I thought they should.

Actually, I never found that test very successful. The reason I believe it's
close to 1 is that over the summer, when I tested my web site on my home
computer (with a regular monitor), the colors were significantly darker than
I had wanted them to be. By gamma correcting the colors, I made them look
right on the computer monitor (although a little washed out on my LCD). The
gamma correction I did assumed that my LCD screen had a gamma of 1, and
worked out just about perfectly.

Other similar experiences also backed it up.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]