POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : octree in patched pov : Re: octree in patched pov Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:05:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: octree in patched pov
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 5 Nov 2002 10:46:55
Message: <3dc7e7ef@news.povray.org>
In article <qrffsucrqdvmbb7knn55884pc23hblotsq@4ax.com> , ABX
<abx### [at] abxartpl>  wrote:

> I wonder if sources with patched pov are supposed to be called 'standard POV
> distribution'. I refer to sentence from comments in octree.cpp: "All standard
> POV distribution rights granted. All other rights reserved." Dos it mean I can
> redistribute octree.cpp with rest of patched files ? Sorry if the answer is
> obvious but I don't know English language details and can't find note about
> octree in povlegal.

All files in POV-Ray are distributed under the terms of POVLEGAL.DOC and no
other terms unless explicitly noted.   You may have noticed that octree.cpp
contains the standard POV-Ray license header.

The sentence "All standard POV distribution rights granted." just means
POVLEGAL.DOC, nothing else:

You missed a very important word.  It does not say "'standard POV
distribution'", but "standard POV distribution rights", which - given the
English grammar - belongs together.  The sentence would not be grammatically
correct in any other way.

    Thorsten

PS: Apart from this, you should not be so paranoid and assume the POV-Team
will come after you and sue for billions of damages if you "violate" some
tiny little note in some obscure file.  The POV-Team is neither associated
with the BSA, nor Microsoft, nor Adobe or any other company which in the
past may have done so ;-)

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.