POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing : Re: Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pixar patent infringement involves anti-aliasing
From: Warp
Date: 4 Nov 2002 14:58:28
Message: <3dc6d163@news.povray.org>
Rohan Bernett <rox### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Big businesses have too much power, and should not be allowed to get away
> with it. Governments should change the law so that a business, no matter
> how large, only has the same amount of power as an individual.

  Patents are one of the strongest weapons for big companies in order to
keep small companies and individuals in leash. Patents, specially if they
can patent *anything* (as seem possible in the US) are relatively cheap and
a great benefit for companies, so it's far from their interest to remove or
even dimish the patenting system. As they are extremely rich and powerful,
they also have the means to keep things this way.
  A government which tried to remove or limit patenting will invariably
find itself fighting against giant companies... (Companies have some
big weapons against governments as well; for example one quite effective
is the threat of moving the entire company outside the country; I think
something like this has happened for example in Canada, when one province
wanted independency but big companies didn't agree.)