POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : text on a cylinder : Re: text on a cylinder Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: text on a cylinder
From: Johannes Dahlstrom
Date: 4 Nov 2002 12:02:16
Message: <3dc6a818@news.povray.org>
Tom Melly wrote:

> Apart from anything else, the macro could be better, in that it should
> allow you to input a whole string, rather than having to call it one time
> for each letter, but at least this version is easily comprehensible (I
> hope).

Hmm, using the min_extent and max_extent functions and a little
trigonometry it should be possible to handle even variable-width fonts
automatically... Heh, I just noticed that it is actually already done and
is part of the POV 3.5 standard library - the Circle_Text macro in
shapes.inc. Only problem is that it rotates around the wrong axis, z
instead of y, but it should be possible to modify it relatively easily.