POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray web site : Re: povray web site Server Time
5 Aug 2024 06:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray web site
From: Slime
Date: 2 Nov 2002 20:37:08
Message: <3dc47dc4$1@news.povray.org>
> the text on much of the povray.org website appears to be  a fixed size and
> quite small.  this tends to be a problem for those of us who are blind as
> bats :). could the web site design be changed so that the text can be
> resized by the user as need be.  BTW: i can't change the screen resolution
> to make the text larger.

Mmm, I've always argued that designers should specify font sizes in such a
way that lets the user resize them. Point in case, right here: If some users
can't read the content on your site, who cares if it looks correct pixel for
pixel?

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just those web designers who think
that specifying font sizes in 'px' is a good idea. I don't think I ever
mentioned the povray.org web site in my arguments, but this is a good
example of why putting the user's needs before yours is important. Font
sizes should be specified with keywords or ems or percentages. Although
these are all somewhat buggy, some of the bugs can be worked around, and in
the end, the users benefit.

Sorry for using you as an example, rmorehouse =)

(By the way: if it's a problem for you with other sites too, then I
recommend you download Mozilla ( http://www.mozilla.org/ ) which will let
you resize *any* text on a web page. (Well, not images made to look like
text, but those are rare anyway.))

If I knew how to set follow-ups to off-topic, I'd do so.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]