POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : a few newbie questions : Re: a few newbie questions Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:12:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a few newbie questions
From: hughes, b
Date: 31 Oct 2002 22:16:43
Message: <3dc1f21b@news.povray.org>
"Robert C. Corkum" <rco### [at] nssympaticoca> wrote in message

> now using rounded cubes, I made a csg object containing 3 rounded
> cubes, the first being the largest the basic full cube which was the
> table, the next two I was trying to carve out the middle of the table
> on both the x and y axis so it would have a top and two curved legs
> using the difference union
> I had to make the difference cubes if I remember black. Basically if I
> could build what i need removed and when I use the difference or
> addition it would basically where ever they merged the anti-material
> would cause it to be removed. maybe I'm not using the difference
> correctly. or describing it well.

I can't advise what to do exactly in Moray but 'difference' CSG needs either
all individual parts textured OR a texture applied to the whole thing (which
then gets one texture) or a combination of both ways. If you leave any
texturing out of just one part and don't apply as a whole then you get
textureless areas that only appear to be black.
I have tried Moray several times in the past and I'm just not good about
setting cascading trees of objects with textures. In POV-Ray I can read and
write each part without much confusion. That's how I see it anyway. In fact,
CSG in a modeller has never been something I could do too well at all.

> second question, concerns more I don't want to redo something already
> done. and with what I've seen on the irtc and povray news servers,
> some amazing things have already been done, now what about
> brick/siding/masonary/panelling macro? have any/none/some of these
> been done? basically I thought of this, when I was trying to do a
> rough visual of the home for some look at some remodelling and thought
> well must be an easier way to do siding instead of drawing many
> repeated panels.

Been many such things done by people, just not sure where to find them.
Looking here I see one by Mark Slone in pov.binaries.scene-files dated
August 15, 2002.
Dave Dunn, POV community leader at AOL had made a include file a while ago
for setting up rooms easily. You could probably use newfound textures for
the walls of that. He called it Arkitek, hmm, not seeing it here in a search
though. Maybe only in AOL files library.
Surest way to search the POV newsgroups is through http://news.povray.org/
since often enough a newsreader doesn't check far enough back in time.
Keywords brick wall turns up several things, might need to narrow it down to
the two scene-files groups.

> third question is releated to over all use, measurement. now is there
> way say I use a special curve on a piece of furniture I am modelling.
> and I'm trying to fit it into a standard piece of wood in real life or
> seeing my real life requirements. anyway to box it in easily and get a
> measurement based on a determined scale?

If you start everything off by planning the units of measure as a specific
sized unit you should be okay. 1 POV (Moray unit) = 1 inch or centimeter,
for example. That way the end result is all known or easily calculated based
on what you choose to think of a "unit" as, since they are arbitrary and
defined by your own idea of what they mean.
I don't know if Moray has any way to go about figuring area and volume from
measurements of units. Didn't last time I looked, I don't believe so anyhow.