POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Jinx! : Re: Jinx! Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:46:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jinx!
From: St
Date: 31 Oct 2002 16:55:16
Message: <3dc1a6c4@news.povray.org>
"Shay" <sah### [at] simcopartscom> wrote in message news:3dc18d19$1@news.povray.org...

> St. <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:3dc18b38@news.povray.org...
> >
> >     Heh... 'Life' is a competition Shay. You don't use the best tool going
> for you
> > to forward yourself in real life?
> >

> I would never suggest otherwise. I would suggest anyone competing do the
> same, *not* the other way around. I think that perhaps I am being
> misunderstood on that point.

    Well, yes, in a text based conversation, it's easy to do sometimes, but I
wrote what I wrote with both comparables in mind just in case and leaned on the
slightly heavier side.  ;)

> >        At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter with this
> competition does
> > it? I see it as fun and tutorial. I would hazard a guess that most people
> really
> > hope that Gilles (or any other big names has entered) - *just to see what
> it is
> > that they have to do* to get that number one slot like he has so often.
> So, in
> > that respect, you're not wrong. I see his Art as a guidance and not a
> hinderence
> > in any way.
> >

> I see his art as a guidance as well. Again, I think that I am being
> misunderstood. I also always hope that the "big names" enter. I am only
> stating that if someone wants to compete at Gilles level then *methodology*
> as well as talent and skill will be crucial.

     Ah. Methodology. A skill in its own right. I think you're right, and I think
it's the crux of the matter in the case of 'this' competition. The thing is,
people want to see skill in whatever form it takes as long as it's legal for the
competition involved.

       But skill is a subjective matter. I have a CG image on my desktop (not by
me), that people almost swoon over when they see it. It's a motorbike, a very
*nice* motorbike. The thing is though, is that I can see all the mistakes, the
scaling mistakes, thickness mistakes, texture mistakes and general mistakes all in
all. I don't dare point them out, but for what it is and the way it looks, I would
say that it would rate fairly high in this comp. if entered.

    Beauty 'is', as always, skin-deep.

      ~Steve~