POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Jinx! : Re: Jinx! Server Time
26 Jun 2024 01:00:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jinx!
From: Shay
Date: 31 Oct 2002 13:19:06
Message: <3dc1741a@news.povray.org>
TinCanMan <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> After looking at this link, I did a bit of looking at past IRTCs and
noticed
> a certain person has only entered 5 times.  Can anyone see a trend here?

The trend is that Gilles has the desire and smarts to take full advantage of
the lenient rules of the IRTC. I am not aware of another CG competition
which allows the use of third party models and textures. An image like Wet
Bird is the product of likely 1,000+ artist hours when Gilles' time and the
time of those who produced the car models, building photographs, poser maps,
etc. is combined.

The ten to fifteen hours of their own time which another artist typically
puts into an IRTC will not produce an image which can compete with something
like that. Of course, Gilles also has *serious* chops. He is incredible at
texturing, lighting, composition, and even modeling.

Gilles plays the game the way it was meant to be played. More power to him.
I have considered trying to create a competitive IRTC entry in the past
using his methods but just don't have the interest in those techniques to
spend the time required to create a scene that way. I have created a
spectacular landscape image, but am still deciding whether or not to send it
in because the competitive part of me knows that I did not take full
advantage of the rules.

 -Shay