POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : [stupid q.] isosurface bounding : Re: [stupid q.] isosurface bounding Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [stupid q.] isosurface bounding
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Oct 2002 14:07:21
Message: <3dbc3969@news.povray.org>
In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj"
<raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

>> "rate of change" of the function. The gradient of your function
>> increases in the x and y directions, so bigger bounding boxes require
>> higher max_gradient values. If you don't increase that value, the solver
>> fails to find a surface.
>
> Where can I find detailed explenation of how solver works, best - with some
> step-by-stem examples how he do it ?

That won't help you finding the gradient of a function in advance.  To
determine the gradient of a function in advance you will need a good math
book, not a detailed description how to find isosurface intersections in
POV-Ray.  In particular a step-by-step example won't possibly help you if
you don't understand the math behind it -- which I assume you don't because
you don't seem to know what a gradient is.  Math books explaining how to
find the gradient of a function should be available in ever library.  A good
selection should be available in your local university library.  However, if
you don't know what a derivative is, you either did not learn it in school
or you have not yet learned it in school.  Either way you will have to
(re)learn it to understand the topic...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde