POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Version 0.1 of my Ray Tracer released : Re: Version 0.1 of my Ray Tracer released Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:28:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Version 0.1 of my Ray Tracer released
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 25 Oct 2002 12:11:18
Message: <3db96d26@news.povray.org>
> Actually I have written it in Java first as well - I needed to learn java
> for my study. But it was a factor 3-10 slower than the c++ version.

I'll bet! (The speed part, that is.) Don't like Java much, but it's the only
way to reach a larger audience...

> While I already had algreba courses I pretty figgured out all the
> neccessary transformations for ray tracing myself... The nice thing was
> that when I came to think about how isosurfaces and volumetric media works
> I could perfectly make usage of the root finding and numerical integration
> techniques that I had been taught just before.
>
> Actually I just today started having a graphic course which will bring me
> bit deeper into the things and algorithms behind rendering.

Ah, now we did do a term studying computer graphics... Everyone thought the
guy was joking when we said our assignment was to write a program to draw an
antialiased STRAIGHT LINE using Bresenham's Algorithm... Ahh, memories...
(What am I on? It was only 5 months ago!)

> > PS. Isn't building a raytracer with OOP so confusing? Which kind of
> > "object" are you talking about... ;-)
>
> Well, I called the objects' base class 'Object3D'. When you are talking of
> 'classes' and 'instances' about OOP there is no name conflict.

Yeah, but Java has a class called "Object". Like you say, "Object3D" would
work fine; I chose "Item" instead - it works better in English as well as in
code...

Andrew.