POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New license for include file : Re: New license for include file Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New license for include file
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 23 Oct 2002 16:58:10
Message: <3db70d62@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote in message

> I'm sorry, I have no idea about what you're talking about.
> Making *what* shareware has the same effect on the
> community as *what*?

"Voluntary donations" is what I meant by "shareware".  There is little
difference in the effect on a freeware community between your new policy and
your old  one.

> "General development of POV-Ray" could mean all the unpaid
> hours invested in the development - but I don't know.

That's one heck of an assumption. I assume it's the cost of a server and
maybe at most some compilers, but there's evidence they got some for free.

> Besides, I also have costs of having my web site up that will probably
> far exceed any donations I might get. So I can't quite see that world of
> difference you're talking about.

Do you **need** a web site for the distribution of a 37 KB  zipped file? You
could post it to  p.b.s.-f. without the P-T seeing a blip in bandwidth
costs...