POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New license for include file : Re: New license for include file Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New license for include file
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 23 Oct 2002 15:17:34
Message: <3db6f5ce@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote in message

> When the include files will be free for non-commercial and
> commercial use, I will instead appeal to users to make voluntary
> donations.

IMHO, nothing's changed. Of the posts above, it was Slime's thoughts that I
agreed with the most.

If I ever release a user-friendly blob-man, I would hope to get:
i)    fame,  of the
oh-aren't-we-so-grateful-to-Chris-Colefax-and-Greg-Johnson  type
ii)   more hits to my web pages to influence folks towards my religious,
moral, and political views
iii)  a tap on the shoulder from say a local car dealer to make a commercial
or maybe even Nick Parks himself to do some collaborative work.
iv)  an Oscar for best short, either by me, or by a user where it's obvious
that it's my creature...

When I first started posting my particle & boids animations, someone
contacted me about releasing my code for his quasi-professional use--
something with CG animation in front of an orchestra.  After trying to
formulate conditions for release that would cheeze as much FAME out of it as
possible, I decided instead to release it with no mention of any conditions
on one of my web pages.

And whaddayaknow,  soon CRAIG REYNOLDS, the father of Boids himself, had a
link on his web page to MY SITE!!!