POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Rendering problem : Re: Rendering problem Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:25:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering problem
From: Justace Clutter
Date: 23 Oct 2002 07:29:19
Message: <3db6880e@news.povray.org>
hughes, b. wrote:

> "Justace Clutter" <pro### [at] corpranetnet> wrote in message
>> I am trying to get render a frame with a wave function built in it.  The
>> function is the specific solution after seperation of variables was done.
>> Anyway all that is irrelelvant.  When I try to render the frame it just
>> sits there and does nothing.  the povray process accums time but does not
>> do anyhing and I have to kill it with a sig 9 to get it to exit.  I use
>> Linux if you have not already guessed.  Any information on this would be
>> wonderfull.
>
> Maybe more information given first... Have you narrowed it down to just
> the isosurface causing the problem. I recall rendering incredibly slow
> isosurfaces, for whatever the reason about them, which I'd have thought
> wasn't rendering anything.
>
> If you post the isosurface part of your scene file, if that is all that
> could be the problem, then it might help people offer advice about it.
>
> I don't know how the Linux one differs but if it can crash the program and
> not show a sign of error then something could be wrong with POV itself.
> But maybe it's sort of looping on some calculation.
> --
> Farewell,
> Bob

I shall take this moment to appologize for the attachment of the file.  It
really occured to me that should have been done in binaries.  I posted to
the advance-users group first and then realized after the face that I would
get a wider responce from this newsgroup.  With that being said I will
clearify my situation.  I am a physics major in Missouri and want to be
able to make really cool 3d animations of my class homework, just for fun
really.  I thought that maybe I could have a math program output a file for
each time step and then include that list of points in a povray file.  I
was unable to find a whole lot of information on that.  So I get 3.5 since
it said that it had partial sums in the list of available functions.  When
I use small functions like just sin(x) or sin(x)*(x^3) or something like
that it works fine.  When I have the function as is listed in the attached
file the program just stops.  Window pops up and it just sits there.  The
following is the output of the program.

---SNIP

Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.5 Unix (.Linux.gcc)
  This is an official version prepared by the POV-Ray Team. See the
   documentation on how to contact the authors or visit us on the
   internet at http://www.povray.org/.
Copyright 1991-2002 POV-Ray Team(tm)
Parsing Options
  Input file: ./isosurfaces.pov (compatible to version 3.5)
  Remove bounds........On  Split unions........Off
  Library paths: /usr/local/lib/povray-3.5
    /usr/local/lib/povray-3.5/include /usr/local/share/povray-3.5
    /usr/local/share/povray-3.5/include
Output Options
  Image resolution 320 by 240 (rows 1 to 240, columns 1 to 320).
Warning:   Rendering to screen only. No file output.

  Graphic display......On  (type: 0, palette: 3, gamma:  2.2)
  Mosaic preview......Off
  CPU usage histogram.Off
  Continued trace.....Off  Allow interruption..Off  Pause when done......On
  Verbose messages.....On
Tracing Options
  Quality:  3
  Bounding boxes.......On  Bounding threshold: 3
  Light Buffer.........On  Vista Buffer.........On  Draw Vista Buffer...Off
  Antialiasing........Off
Animation Options
  Clock value....   0.000  (Animation off)
Redirecting Options
  All Streams to console.........Off
  Debug Stream to console.........On
  Fatal Stream to console.........On
  Render Stream to console........On
  Statistics Stream to console....On
  Warning Stream to console.......On

Parsing......File: ./isosurfaces.pov  Line: 69
Warning: Itteration

.

Creating bounding slabs.
Scene contains 6 frame level objects; 2 infinite.

Creating vista buffer.
Displaying...
Using 16 bit TrueColor visual...
  -:--:-- Rendering line    1 of  240. Warning: Camera is inside a
non-hollow object. Fog and participating media
may not work as expected.

---SNIP

I let it run all night and got nothing, not a single line.  Could this be a
bug in povray 3.5?  If I take the sum out and put like sin(x) it works fine
and fast.  Like I said before, sorry about the bad posing style but lets
try thig again.

Justace