POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : How to start? : Re: How to start? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 17:10:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to start?
From: John Keing
Date: 22 Oct 2002 16:29:20
Message: <3db5b520@news.povray.org>
Thank you for your advice.
I have tried it and seen the scene , but still got some questions.
Actually, I'm not so familiar with povray. I've read its help documents, but
still can't find any help.

I've got the following questions, hope you can explain them to me. Thanks.
1) In your code for defining a box, what does "-1,1" mean? I know we need to
take 2 opposite 3D corners for defining a box.

2) There are 10 frames, so the clock takes approximately 0.11 for each
frame. Am I right?

    So, for frame 1, clock=0, Count=0 ==> no box is created
          for frame 2, clock=0.11, Count=0, Count<5*clock is true==> first
box is created and Count=1
          for frame 3, clock=0.22, Count=1, Count<5*clock is true==>second
box is created and Count=2
          problem comes for frame 4, clock=0.33, Count=2, Count<5*clock is
false==>no box is created! However, another new box is
          created! Why? The program should go out the while loop.

    Also, how can you determine "Count<5*clock" can stack 5 boxes only?

3) I would like to know the relationship between the frame, clock and the
objects appear in each frame.

    How do they work out to show an animation?

4) The example you gave is simple to let me know how to generate animation.
However, if I want to display an alphabet by boxes
    say , "C", how can I do that?

    It's not the same as stacking the boxes in one direction. Could you
please show me the ways of doing this? I mean how you design the
    scene. Also, how to determine the number of frames are appropriate?

   I'm really frustrated about the ways to use povray for making animation.

5) My final question is I have added the following code to your example:

   camera {
  location <5, 3, -8>
  look_at <4, 3, 0>
 }

 light_source {
  <0, 10, -10> White
}

plane {
   y, 0

   texture {
     pigment { checker color White color Green }
   }

 }

sky_sphere { S_Cloud5 }

Why the first created box looks smaller than the others? However, every box
looks the same size if the above code is not added.

Sorry for so many questions. If I don't have a good and clear concept, I
know I can't move on to do anything.
Hope you can help me!
Thank you!

"hughes, b." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> Hmmmm, you know what? I didn't realize that tutorial suggests using the
> povray.ini file for your animation setup. I hadn't seen it in so long, and
> don't know if I ever read it word for word before, so I was curious how it
> went about teaching that.
>
> So, John, you might want to go about creating your own INI file for
putting
> all the animation keywords in. That way it's a simple matter of opening
that
> file for animations and no need to do commenting out of things listed in
> your "master" povray.ini.
>
> Since I'm replying here I might as well throw in the fastest possible way
> get a 10 frame animation of stacking boxes. Put the following into the
> command-line (if Windows there anyway):
>
> +kfi1 +kff10
>
> Then for the box stacking, put this into your scene (pov) file:
>
> #declare Count=0;
>
> #while (Count<5*clock) // stack 5 boxes
>
> box {
>     -1,1
>     pigment {
>             rgb <1-Count/5,0,Count/5>*9 // luminous color
>             }
>     translate <0,2*Count,20>
> }
>
> #declare Count=Count+1;
>
> #end
>
> The command-line switches are frames 1 to 10, clock 0 to 1 is implied by
> default so it isn't needed.
> The example scene will render as is, no camera or light needed. You could
> also add a rotate 360*clock*y so the boxes turn as they stack. Maybe this
> will be a very quick way for you to see how it works, with the #while loop
> acting to keep the previous boxes in place instead of just moving a single
> box upward.
> It can take time to learn all the keywords and how they can be used to
> manipulate animations, so check out that clock tutorial; also read the
Help