POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My particle system is released : Re: My particle system is released Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My particle system is released
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 21 Oct 2002 19:25:43
Message: <3db48cf7@news.povray.org>
(I don't know quite what to quote here; those following the thread will
presumably know what I'm responding to, so hopefully I'll be forgiven.)

All I can do here is reiterate things that others have said, in the hope
that one of us will be able to make you see or agree with something
where the others fail. With that said, I'm going to take a different
tack from the people protesting on moral grounds, and go straight to the
practical argument.

Rune, who do you think is going to pay you for commercial use of your
particle system (or indeed anything else that you add to POV-Ray's bag
of tricks)? Professional CG artists are far more likely to use 3DSMAX or
Maya or something; they're not going to pay you for some "useless" bit
of POV script. People like Gilles Tran aren't going to pay you; they'll
just not use your work. And then there are the people like me -
unashamed software pirates - who would happily use your work and not
give you a dime or a shred of credit, in the belief that information is
inherently free and that artificial limitations on its freedom can and
should be ignored.

When you get right down to it, do you *really* have any customers at
all? And even if you had, say, four or five, would their small financial
contributions really be worth the time you spent making your particle
system? Would they justify the fact that almost no one else is using
your code for anything? Would their contributions be more valuable than
free third-party improvements to your code?

One other thing (and here I dip into the moral argument): if you feel
that people are entitled to monetary compensation for their intellectual
work if others use it for financial gain, then how have you compensated
others for *their* intellectual work, which *you* are now using for
commercial gain? Have you paid the members of the POV Team for their
work in creating and maintaining POV-Ray? Have you donated money to keep
this news server running, and did you pay for ad space to advertise your
product? Have you sent off checks to the people whose work on particle
systems you probably used in making your own, and the people who
published that work? Did you pay posters here for any suggestions or
help they might have given you?

If not, then you're a hypocrite, and you deserve to have your work
stolen from you and used without compensation, just as you have used
others' resources without compensation.

-Xplo