POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Even distribution on a sphere : Re: Even distribution on a sphere Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:12:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Even distribution on a sphere
From: Johannes Dahlstrom
Date: 21 Oct 2002 07:27:27
Message: <3db3e49e@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> I meant that stars are not distributed so the angular distances between
> each one and the nearest neighbor as seen from earth are approximately
> equal. Stars are not "evenly distributed", they are closer to being
> "randomly distributed". I think that approximately matches what you
> said, but I'm not sure. ;-)

Yep, that's essentially what I *tried* to say ;) Should've checked my
message more carefully before sending, the last sentence ("...so that...")
doesn't make much sense now. It should read something like "so that the
distances between every point and its nearest neighbout are roughly equal",
which is, of course, exactly what you said.

But this is getting a bit off-topic, as it's clear by now that what Tom
wants is not an even distribution by the definition above, but a *flat*
random distribution on a sphere :)