POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My particle system is released : Re: My particle system is released Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My particle system is released
From: hughes, b
Date: 20 Oct 2002 23:44:40
Message: <3db37828@news.povray.org>
I can't read Ken's mind so I could be wrong to say this. Maybe it's that
"derivative works" part that's unclear.

I remember when I first started with POV-Ray and the same wording was used
about the demo scenes, I think. Seemed obvious that you simply don't add
parts of other people's works into your own renderings and call them solely
your own (if stating anything at all for that matter). The gray area to me
would be whether a concept or idea or actual object is modified and used
without credit. Well, a modified object is certainly a derivative, right?
Anyway... again my point, like before, is about how this can get confusing
without precise and clear wording. I think you tried that, Rune, and I
understood it enough.

If the questionability comes down to usage of the includes and thereby a
person must relinquish sole ownership of whatever they make with them then I
can see the problem for casual, non-profit use. Of course all this hinges
upon "publishing" or uploads to the web, not at home use for example.

I grabbed a quote from the Terms Of Use which is the only part I think I
might muddle up:

"My files are for your enjoyment and education but may not be the basis of
any derivative works. Also, you may not alter, correct, or improve any of my
files in any way."

I always end up changing files in one way or another, it's second nature. I
try not to put them back out there without acknowledging that fact. Major
includes like yours are easier to refrain from sharing and spreading with
"modifications" though, simply because of their inherent complexity and so
changes are more studiously undertaken. For example, I doubt I ever e-mailed
anyone a changed a famous Colefax include. Simpler files are easier to
pollute without consciously reworking them, and they usually aren't
constrained to any kind of copyrighting in the first place.

Well, if I made any sense there, that's some of my input about the subject.
Basically, POV-Ray files are so morphable since anyone can edit the scripts,
unlike programming code. Perhaps this is the most difficult thing to refrain
from and the terms of use specifically warn against that. Should be plain to
everyone that they can't redistribute them, so that's not unclear to me at
all.

Or maybe Ken just likes picking on you Rune? ;-)
--
Farewell,
Bob