POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Questions on a friday afternoon : Re: Questions on a friday afternoon Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questions on a friday afternoon
From: Stephen
Date: 31 Aug 2008 10:24:51
Message: <3dalb4pm0gtb74gq4h2gtus1rrqn8ncvt7@4ax.com>
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 15:06:44 +0200, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>Most people assume for some reason that because English was originally
>spoken in the UK that the pronunciation there would be more alike there
>then abroad. In fact it is the other way around.

I agree with what you wrote.
Another thing most people do not know is that in areas of Pennsylvania, their
spoken English is purer (citation required) than in most places in England.
(Also what is pure?)

It surprised me when I worked in Australia that the difference in regional
accents is minimal, as it is in America. I'm not saying that there is no
difference but compared to the UK there is little to complain about.
(Stop me if you've heard this before) I once spent an afternoon with and elderly
relative of a friend who lived 20 miles outside of Aberdeen. I could not make
out more than one word in three, his dialect was so foreign. Then there are
Yorkshire men who still "thee and thou" in normal speech. In Summerset the local
English can be understood in Northern Spain. I was able to understand quite a
few words written and spoken in the Netherlands, when I was there.
English is a mongrel language at home but abroad there is less deviation IMO.
--

Regards
     Stephen