POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : FEATURE REQUEST: Exclude light : Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Exclude light Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:13:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Exclude light
From: Jellby
Date: 16 Oct 2002 15:59:00
Message: <3dadc503@news.povray.org>
Le Forgeron wrote:

> [...]
>
>> OK, there are at least two ways of thinking about negative lights. If
>> normal lights lighten illuminated zones and don't affect shadows,
>> negative lights could:
>>
>> 1.- Darken "illuminated" zones, don't touch shadows. (This is the most
>> logical approach)
>> 2.- Lighten shadows, don't touch illuminated zones. (It has its logic
>> too, don't you think so?)
>>
>> [...]
>
> You are thinking about 'positive' and 'negative' light source as the
> only way to touch the image.
> You are forgetting 'Ambient' settings.
>
> For:
>   1. Do not touch ambient, add negative light
>   2. add negative light and compensate the negative light with a raise
> of ambient light. It might be tricky if many textures have different
> ambient ratios.

The problem with ambient is that it's object-based, and not
light-source-based.
I like the 'projected_through' option better (I had forgotten about it). I
don't know if it would be really practical, but that's the idea, I think.

Anyway, I was just brainstorming, I'm not planing on using these 'inverted'
lights or anything, it's just that the idea came to my mind.

Jellby