POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray 3.1 and 3.5 difference : Re: POV-Ray 3.1 and 3.5 difference Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.1 and 3.5 difference
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 15 Oct 2002 22:24:47
Message: <3daccdef$1@news.povray.org>
"Peter Popov" <pet### [at] vipbg> wrote...
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 22:40:21 -0700, Lutz Kretzschmar <lut### [at] stmuccom>
> wrote:
>
> >I was wondering whether someone can explain why this scene renders
> >differently according to whether the version switch is there or not.
> >I mean what specifically makes it render so differently?
>
> It's the normal. Either the pattern (bumps, which uses different noise
> generators) or the non-uniform (anisotropic) scaling, which IIRC is
> handled differently in 3.5 due to some bugs in 3.1. Or maybe even
> both.

It probably is related to the way that normals are scaled differently in POV
3.5 compared to POV 3.1.  I haven't rendered your scene, so I can't be sure.

See this page for more info:
http://nathan.kopp.com/normals.htm

Somehow it seems this info did not get included in the POV 3.5 docs.  See
section 6.7.2.4 of the docs for info about the no_bump_scale keyword, which
might help you get the desired result.

-Nathan