POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I want spikey balls : Re: I want spikey balls Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:27:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I want spikey balls
From: Slime
Date: 15 Oct 2002 15:45:48
Message: <3dac706c@news.povray.org>
> I tried normalising x,y and z, but that didn't seem to work either (but I
think
> I was doing that wrong - it seemed like a good idea).

You might find that instead of taking the sine/cosine of x,y, or z, that
taking the sine or cosine of theta (atan(z/x)) or phi
(atan(y/sqrt(x^2+z^2))) will work better. These two angles can be calculated
with the f_th and f_ph functions in functions.inc. (There's also an f_r
function which gives you the distance to the origin at a point; these three
functions are related.)

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]