POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mobius Strip - mobius01_withsphere_small.jpg (0/1) : Mobius Strip - mobius01_withsphere_small.jpg (0/1) Server Time
10 May 2024 23:29:59 EDT (-0400)
  Mobius Strip - mobius01_withsphere_small.jpg (0/1)
From: Blane Bizzaro
Date: 12 Oct 2002 12:06:14
Message: <3da844b5.542418@news.povray.org>
This is 1 frame from what I hope to be an animation of spheres rolling
around a mobius strip. I could use some help with the math. I already
know how to roll a sphere in a straight line regardless of the radius
of the sphere or it's x location, it's like this...

object {sphere {<0,0,0>0.25
        texture {pigment {checker color White color <.1, .6, .5> }
           finish { ambient 0 diffuse 1 phong 1 phong_size 80}}
                 rotate <0, 0, -clock*360*4>

//clock*4 because the radius of the sphere 0.25

      translate <-3, 0.25, 0>
      translate <2*pi*clock, 0, 0>}

            }

But so far, I don't know how to roll the sphere around the y axis with
an orbital axis that matches the major radius of the mobius strip.

I also don't know how to calculate the correct Y translation as the
sphere rolls along the face of the mobius strip.

Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks All!

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/loop/povlup2e.htm