POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Server load? : Re: Server load? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Server load?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 9 Oct 2002 17:18:42
Message: <3da49d32$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3da483dc$1@news.povray.org> , "Jim Kress"
<kre### [at] kressworkscom> wrote:

> "The connection to the server a bit is slower"
>
> I disagree.  It's not a 'bit' slower.  It's dramatically reduced.  Even

Well, that obviously depends on what time of day you use the internet.  Few
people use a US mirror at the morning, European time for example.  So it
will be a bit slower.  Obviously during peak hours of internet usage in the
USA mirrors in the USA are going to be used more as well.

> Who controls the distribution of data on the servers?  Is it possible to
> move the RH mirror to a different server so we can recover the speed we used
> to have for the POV newsgroup?

You did not understand.  This is not about povray.org; povray.org is a
server owned by a POV-tTeam member.  But not all servers on the world are
owned by POV-Team members are available for distriuting POV-Ray.  Multiple
servers are connected to a network.  Bandwidth on a network is limited.
Bandwidth is how much data goes over a network interconnection during a
specific time.

The simple fact is that the internet shares resources for everyone on a
global as well as local level.  So if one resource is popular at/for a
certain time, then those resources less popular will of course be a bit less
accessible.  Of course, after a short time demand will be balanced again.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde