POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth blending question : Re: Smooth blending question Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth blending question
From: Shay
Date: 8 Oct 2002 17:56:52
Message: <3da354a4$1@news.povray.org>
How Camp <kro### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> More or less.  Our xyz data set has no inherent strength information -
only
> varying densities of particles.  Here's a real example of some of our
data:
> We have a grid of values, 51x21.  Each gridpoint has a height associated
> with it.  We simply want to plot each of these xyz points, and smoothly
> connect them in some sort of surface.

This may be a lot simpler than I thought. All that is really needed is to
reorganize the data you have into a heightfield type mesh2 formal. I have a
macro at home that can do this. I will post it tomorrow.

The macro is pretty straightforward. The only input needed is a
two-dimensional array of values. like this: array[x position][y position] =
z value.

Smoothing out the surface is another problem. This can be accomplished
easily with a mesh subdivision, but smooth surfaces which travel *through* a
set of points have a tendency to warp and look wavy. Here is an example:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/23830/

 -Shay