POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : iso surfaces and pigments : Re: iso surfaces and pigments Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iso surfaces and pigments
From: Tim McMurdo
Date: 7 Oct 2002 12:26:46
Message: <3da1b5c6$1@news.povray.org>
Suddenly you have my interest. I am trying to come up with a surface taht
simulates deep ocean swells.

I am trying Christph's (I think) waves.inc file. While the include file
generates dynamic height fields that are perfect for rolling swells, I just
can't get the surface to look like the real thing.

How do I simulate the wind blown look of the oceansurface. I hate to go with
a fixed heightfield because I want to animate the surface.

If you are indeed trying to simulate the sea, I would love to see what you
have come up with so far.

Tim

"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message
> I've not really played with iso-pigments yet, so please excuse any obvious
> errors in this.
>
> Problem: You generate an iso-surface and what to apply an iso-pigment to
it,
> say, for example, a turbulent sea with foamy waves. Now, the surface
represents
> a particular threshold, so the same iso-surface function will be no help
when it
> comes to the pigment (since the surface would only return one value).
>
> However, in some way, the pigment function has some relation to the
iso-surface
> (or at least you'd like it to), but what is it? (or should one always be
using
> some kind of slope-map in such situations?)
>
> --
> #macro
A(V,B,C,R)#while(B-256)#if(V-128/B>=0)sphere{0,.5translate<C-4R-1,9>