POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray problem and - Sorry! : Re: POV-Ray problem and - Sorry! Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:18:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray problem and - Sorry!
From: Andreas Kreisig
Date: 6 Oct 2002 14:41:33
Message: <3da083dc@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:

> It looks to me like Blender was using a soft-shadow light, and when it
> exported, it put a point light in POV-Ray. look up "area_light" in
> POV-Ray's documentation and make the light_source an area light. That will
> blur the shadows of the blinds and the plant and make things look more
> like they did in blender.

Blenders render engine is rather poor. It doesn't support real soft
shadows. It creates shadow maps or layers of shadow maps that looks like
smooth. The blured (and not very good looking) shadows are the result of
low filter settings (shadow map buffersize, samples etc.)

> All those dark parts are just shadows from the blinds and from the plant.
>
> Now that I look more closely, I don't see any shadows in Blender at *all*
> from anything *but* the blinds. If you want only the blinds to cast
> shadows, then put the no_shadow flag in every other object.

No, I don't want only the blinds to cast shadows. As I said before,
sometimes Blender is not very exactly in calculate shadows (respectively
light rays) - it's not a ray tracer and that's the reason why I want to use
POV-Ray :-)

BTW: I'm not sure whether I should use area lights. In my scene the sun
shines directly through the window and passes the blinds. This should cast
sharp shadows, shouldn't it?

Thanks,
Andreas