POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray problem and - Sorry! : Re: POV-Ray problem and - Sorry! Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray problem and - Sorry!
From: Andreas Kreisig
Date: 6 Oct 2002 14:07:28
Message: <3da07bdc@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> The only way to know is to look at the exact texture definition provided
> by the converter and see if it makes sense in POV-Ray. Converters often
> have very bizarre ways to create POV-Ray textures and I never use their
> texture output directly. For some reason, for instance, some converters
> insist in creating texture layers that only mess up the texture code. It
> could really be anything... and nothing serious unless the uv-mapping is
> actually wrong (this you can check by replacing the texture map with a
> checker pigment).

Hi,

Warp advised me to add a "global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 }" statement.
Indeed, the picture is brighter now and looks better. No I can see, that
the uv-mapping is okay, but the colors are bad. It looks like a baloon that
you blow up to much and the skin will get to thin, although the texture is
very large (700x450 pixel) and the object itself is comparatively small.

Is it possible that the pigment colors influence the texture?
This is the corresponding code block:

#declare ma_book1_pig=pigment{color rgb <1.0,1.0,1.0> }

#declare ma_book1_fsh=finish {

//              ambient 0.6
                diffuse 0.1953125
                specular 0.25 roughness 0.8046875
}

And here is a second sample file with correct gamma but still ugly colors:

http://320002096658-0001.bei.t-online.de/example2.jpg

Thanks for help,
Andreas