POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : save hf pattern ? : Re: save hf pattern ? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 12:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: save hf pattern ?
From: TinCanMan
Date: 24 Sep 2002 22:01:32
Message: <3d9118fc@news.povray.org>
> > I have height field with
> > function 2000,2000 { ...
> >
> > how can I save / load data (as in radiosity/photons).
> >
> > Ofcourse instead standart metod to render a separate 16 bit .tga ?
> >
> > This would very usefull i.e. in animations with big terrain
>
> You can't. You could render an image with an orthographic camera pointed
> at a plane with that pattern instead though...this was the common
> technique before the function image was added.

Be careful with this method as I have found that there is a slight
difference in how the images are used.  In the function heightfield,
(essentially) the 'vertices' of the pixels are used, whereas for an
image_map type, the centres of the pixels are used.  So, essentially, a
2000x2000 function HF is equal to a 2001x2001 image_map HF.  In most
applications of HFs this isn't a problem or concern though, it is really
only neccessary to pay attention when splicing HFs together.

-tgq