POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Align box to splines : Align box to splines Server Time
5 May 2024 23:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Align box to splines
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 24 Sep 2002 13:06:30
Message: <3d909b96$1@news.povray.org>
I have two splines where
  vlength(Spline_1(Val)-Spline_2(Val)= W
for every value of Val.

Now I have a box with one dimenstion W and a given L (H is irrelevant).

Q: How do I get the four corners of W&L to be aligned as closely as possible
to the two curves?

The application is a railroad with not-so-flat rails (ala'
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/27516/).   I can think of a
very, very hairy algorithm that involves millions of rotations until I get
it best aligned in three axes, but I'm wondering if there were a more simple
trick out there....