POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ATTN Gilles Tran: your Library includes crash POV : Re: ATTN Gilles Tran: your Library includes crash POV Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ATTN Gilles Tran: your Library includes crash POV
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 22 Sep 2002 05:19:57
Message: <3d8d8b3d$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3d8d87a3$1@news.povray.org> , "Timothy R. Cook"
<tim### [at] scifi-fantasycom> wrote:

> 1) #read apparently didn't have a problem reading it

Interesting.  This is indeed possible that #read may work, but if so then it
is not officially supported at the moment...

> 2) did you get the result i specified in my post, namely some japanese
>     characters?  i do see that there are some unicode characters in the
>     string (an e with cedilla being the first), but it is not japanese
>     characters, which is what they should be, because that is what those
>     unicode character codes specify.

Well, that would require me to have the font.  I can tell you that it works
with TTF fonts.  The problem with TTC font files is that they are a
collection of TTF font files in one file, and POV-Ray only supports them
with one TTF font file inside (the others are ignored).  So if the font does
not include the correct TTF font file as the first in the collection it
contains, POV-Ray will not be able to find the correct character because it
does not have enough information to make a choice which TTF font in the TTC
font file to pick.  The solution is to convert the TTC font file to multiple
TTF font files and then use the appropriate TTF file.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde