POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spline object: what is it? : Re: Spline object: what is it? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spline object: what is it?
From: Jellby
Date: 20 Sep 2002 16:27:19
Message: <3d8b84a6@news.povray.org>
ABX wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 20:00:31 +0200, Jellby <jel### [at] M-softhomenet>
> wrote:
>> Yes, now I have read the whole tutorial (I just had a quick look before).
>> I see the difference between isosurfaces and parametric objects. And yes,
>> almost everything is possible with meshes, but it's not the same, from my
>> point of view it's just a fake, a useful, efficient, clever fake, but a
>> fake.
>
> Is approximation a fake in your definition ?
>
> ABX

Don't misunderstand me. Maybe 'fake' was not a very well-chosen word (I'm
not an English speaker). I meant that meshes are not the 'true' object (if
you are approximating an object by means of a mesh), if you zoom it you
will eventually see the triangles in the shadow, and they are not quite
'elegant', I think... We do have true spheres in povray, and they can be
made as meshes too. I was just wondering if it would be possible to have
such prismatic lathes in an optimized way (parametrics are slow, I've
heard), without the need of converting to a mesh. I don't demand it, I
can't do that and I don't want to do that, I was just giving an idea.

After all, everything in povray is just a fake of reality ;)