POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Error rendering scattering media : Re: Error rendering scattering media Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Error rendering scattering media
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 10 Sep 2002 09:25:23
Message: <3d7df2c3@news.povray.org>
In article <3D7DE417.8DE00E20@comcast.net> , Gwen & Emory Stagmer
<emo### [at] comcastnet>  wrote:

> I am doing an animation translating a scattering media
> (bozo'd) 'through' a solid.  At frame 1, only one of the
> objects is affected.  Subsequent frames show all the
> solid, filled objects affected.  The effect looks like
> some kind of scan line error.  A much older post that
> seemed to indicate a similar error referred to a 'lathe bug'.
> What I'm seeing may help to finally nail that one down
> if it's the same or a related problem.

POV-Ray is a ray tracer, not a scanline renderer.  So there cannot be "some
kind of scan line error" anywhere under any condition simply because there
is no scanline for an object.  And what you posted also has absolutely
nothing to do with the lathe object.  As you know, your scene uses the
heightfield object.  As you did not say which particular lathe object
problem you are referring to, I assume you are talking about people
forgetting to use the "sturm" keyword which turns on a more precise root
finding algorithm and usually eliminated artifacts.  This again would be a
user error, just like in your scene.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde