POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Writing distributed renderer. Seeking .ini advice from experienced users :) : Writing distributed renderer. Seeking .ini advice from experienced users :) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:11:42 EDT (-0400)
  Writing distributed renderer. Seeking .ini advice from experienced users :)
From: George Pantazopoulos
Date: 9 Sep 2002 20:30:10
Message: <3d7d3d12$1@news.povray.org>
Hello fellow POV-Ray'ers!

    I am currently writing a very user-friendly distributed rendering
program for POV-Ray,
and, since I don't use them much myself, I'm seeking advice on the best way
to handle .ini files.

    To those who are experienced at POV-Ray, how important are ini files to
you, and what do you use them for?
Also, how often do you use multiple ini files? ( Please note that I won't be
supporting animation for the time being)

    Currently I'm planning on having the user pick a list of .ini files,
which will be transferred to each render slave. They will be specified,
in-order, in the command-line arguments to POV-Ray when a render is started.
My program will also generate a custom ini containing pertinent info such as
the tile size, render directory etc. Also this custom ini will be specified
last, so the critical settings it contains will take precedence
over anything similar that happens to be in the user specified ini's.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or comments from experienced
users as to how ini files should be handled best in a distributed render
program!

Thanks :)
George Pantazopoulos