POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : variable/adaptive radiosity count : Re: variable/adaptive radiosity count Server Time
18 May 2024 19:13:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: variable/adaptive radiosity count
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 5 Sep 2002 11:15:12
Message: <3d7774ff@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> I made some more experiments in that matter, see:

  Do you like experiments, isn't?

> rad_count-fn3.png:
> function based count, like 'fn2' but also with variable error_bound
> 0.4/0.1, this removes the persistent bright aretefacts but seems to have
> quite strong overall (and not always positive) effects.  I'm really not
> sure if varying error_bound is a good idea after all.

  Removing bright artifacts is good thing...

> rad_count-adaptive.png:
> The program decides whether to shoot all MAX_COUNT rays after doing
> MIN_COUNT  based on the maximum and minimum distance returned by these
> rays.  This seems to work fairly well, but as said before it does not
> really offer much control to the user.  With the function patch enabled
> too MAX_COUNT can also be a function of course.

  I was thinking yesterday about your adaptive-count experiment, and was
wondering how it will decide to shoot more rays.  Distance, of course! I
figured then it would be nice to have also adaptive error_bound and
nearest_count. Makes it sense to have all them adaptive at the same time?
It's possible? (Indeed, excuse my total ignorance about radiosity
implementation....)

> Ouch, that has become quite a long post, those who have not given up
> reading yet are welcome to comment. :-)

  And if I just scrolled to bottom? :)

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres