POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About a (maybe) cool idea with blobs and splines... : Re: About a (maybe) cool idea with blobs and splines... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 14:15:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About a (maybe) cool idea with blobs and splines...
From: Rune
Date: 4 Sep 2002 19:36:04
Message: <3d7698e4@news.povray.org>
Christian wrote:
> It's not really true that, my friend. I've seen
> how it's done with other packages... (but I don't
> really know HOW they do it...)

I thought we were talking about blobs in POV-Ray.

And you're entirely sure that in those programs where you've seen it,
the blobs aren't tessellated into triangle meshes first? In other words,
the other programs you mention are also raytracers?

Otherwise I stick to what I said.

> textures CAN be attached and fixed to blobs (although,
> I don't know if that it's possible with the current
> implementation of POV...

It isn't possible to make a texture attached and fixed on the surface of
a blob object in POV-Ray. I'm pretty sure that the only possible ways of
doing that would be to tessellate the blob object, in which case it
would indeed be a triangle mesh.

> but there might be a patch for that, right?)

No.

> And mathematics is a flexible language... there
> might not be a need to rediscover America or the
> powder, you know...

You make things sound very easy.

>> I still think that only with meshes you can
>> have organic movement of (textured) characters.
>
> Well... I disagree. I just try to make a difference,
> you know. Maybe I didn't explain myself very well.
>
> Please, wait till I post the whole idea!!!!!

Ok. I'll probably have more constructive criticism by then. :)

By the way, many of us here are trying to make a difference. That's what
makes this community great.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated July 12)